Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Struggling With Worship

Ok, it's confession time: I've been struggling with worship services. Maybe that sounds weird coming from a pastor. Maybe its even bad coming from a pastor. But, its true. Let me explain.

First, traditional worship. While this might surprise some, I do find value and meaning in a traditional worship setting... sometimes. I really like the hymns (when they don't drag too much) and I love a choir. That's the good news. However, there are things that just don't work for me. For one, there is a formality often to traditional worship that creates a rigidness. Whether it is the robes or the suits, it often feels like the formalities become more important than the worship. Further, I've never been a big fan of pre-printed prayers and calls to worship. While the communal aspect of our worship is important, it has always felt forced, those weren't "my" words of worship.

Now to contemporary. I have been a big proponent of contemporary worship. I helped start a contemporary service at my home church. My primary role at my last appointment was leading the contemporary service. I have loved the energy and music. I have loved the informality of it, where no one looks down on you if you are wearing jeans. I have loved  more creative elements, like dance, drama, and videos that have fit better and been better accepted in contemporary settings. Still, something is missing. It has begun to seem more and more that contemporary is becoming as routine and predictable as, dare I say it, traditional. Where traditional can become more focused on the formality, contemporary often is more about the entertainment. There is a richness, a deep authenticity that seems to be missing.

I wish I had the answer, but if I did, this wouldn't be titled "struggling" with worship. I am drawn to something ancient, yet modern. But what does that look like. I have a few things I am going to try in the services I lead. I am contemplating using an affirmation of faith in all services. While not big on the pre-printed stuff, these are statements of what we believe. We are lacking in that. I have encouraged my praise band to work up more contemporarized versions of hymns. Perhaps we will bring in some more of the contemporary elements into the traditional setting.

I will say, that unlike many, I have enjoyed blended services. But those tend to upset the traditional and contemporary alike.

I'm still reflecting and searching. Oh, and definitely praying. For now, I simply quote those great theologians known as U2: "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

Chris

1 comment:

Jane Campbell said...

Come listen to my lesson on Quakers that I am presenting at 10 tomorrow for Hannah Circle, and you may get some inspiration from George Fox, founder of Quakers (or possibly you will be even more discouraged, as was George Fox!).

I relate to everything you said.

Jane Campbell