Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dis-Connected Church

I write this as I sit in one of the business sessions of the MO Annual Conference. Not that I am bored (clears throat), but rather I just feel compelled by recent events. The focus of this conference has been (long overdue) on youth and young adults. We have had some great messages and workshops that lead us, as the bishop says, to "remember the future." better late than never that we get serious about this. However, there is one thing painfully clear: there is a disconnect between the message of our leaders, our intentions, and what is actually being loved out. Big surprise, I know. A couple of examples.

This morning began with a learning time with Bishop Schnase. He spoke on the challenges of reaching new generations. In his talk, he shared a story of encountering a young lady outside of a mall. This young lady had some serious ink (tattoos for the uninformed), along with a number of piercings. His point was 1) there was nothing wrong with her appearance, but 2) that how her appearance was in part an effort to "belong" to a group, something more. During this time, a young lady was in the crowd, a young lady with some serious ink of her own. She was connecting to the Bishop's message and perhaps feeling like she belonged here. But, and isn't there always a but, her welcome feeling was short lived. Sitting next to her was an older, long time United Methodist. This person was audibly disagreeing with the bishop and being very judgmental. Talk about a disconnect. The young lady became so upset that she left in the middle of the talk crying. My wife encountered her in the bathroom trying to pull herself together.

Later, In our worship service, we continued to lift up ur youth and young adults. One youth had his iPad open during the service. Was he taking notes? Perhaps researching a topic; who knows. I mean, I'm writing this blog on my iPad. It's part of our culture. However, an older, long time United Methodist sitting behind the youth leaned forward and, wait for it, told him to put it away. Yep, pretty bold.

I wish these were isolated incidents, but they are not. These kind of experiences and far worse ones happen regularly. On the one hand, our leaders tell us to " remember the future." We applaud and say "amen" and even let our youth and young adults have some token leadership in our conference and churches. But, on the other hand, there is a generational struggle ongoing.

Everyone is losing. I repeat, WE ARE ALL LOSING!

We United Methodists pride ourselves on being a connectional church. But a dis-connect clearly remains.

Chris

9 comments:

David Stuckey said...

This hits the nail on the head.. our church can be appropriately linked in too many cases to being Pharisees and Sadducees in their lack of love towards others that are not UpperMiddleClass

Chris Williams said...

David, my wife and I were just talking about that recently. We spend more energy speaking about appropriate dress, coffe in the sanctuary, and the "noise" of the band than we do about the love of God in Jesus Christ. Sometimes I want to yell, "You brood of vipers!" But, I have to be careful about my own plank...

Chris

Kevin Shelton said...

Praise God for your prophetic voice here Chris.

David Stuckey said...

Chris you are exactly right we all fall short but such behavior by others should be a stark reminder for us in the future on how our reaction to situations is needed first to be filtered by WWJD.... hokey i know but so appropriate sometime.

K Jaros said...

Thanks for your words of wisdom, I was energized by the youth at the MO conference, and so saddened by the events you witnessed.

Bryan said...

This very much reminds me of an experience I had last year at Annual Conference. I was up on stage being ordained during the ordination service. I was promising to give up being able to choose where I live and promising to move myself and my new wife of three months where ever we are sent in service to the church. Meanwhile, my parents and wife were sitting in the audience. My wife was wearing a beautiful dress and, I have to say, looked stunning. During the service, though, an older person looked over at her, noticed that she was wearing sandals and had a couple of tattoos on her ankles, leaned over to the person next to them and whispered loud enough to be overheard by everyone around them that she looked "trashy." What a way to welcome someone who is very new to being the spouse of a pastor, eh?

Chris Williams said...

Bryan,

This breaks my heart. We need to connect your wife to mine. My wife proudly wears the badge "Unconventional Pastor's Wife." She is not the only one. Email me at pastorclw@gmail.com.

Buck said...

Great read Chris. i wasn't around much for AC, but I, an ex-youth director, was wandering how a youth focused AC was going go. Like a youth service, it is usually planned by adults. I feel the disconnect from the youth talk and the act of involving youth. Even when it comes to young clergy, of which I've been classified out of, I feel the same has happened. Although some appointments to local churches have been made to young clergy, I see then in no other role, i.e. cabinet, BOM, conference staff, General Conference....

Once again, thank you for youth voice and I too am married to an "unconventional" women.

Chris Williams said...

Buck, I too had some of those experiences as a youth leader. The dis-connect goes on...