Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Happy Birthday

Today I celebrate my wife's _____ birthday. I'm smart enough not to fill in that blank. Every year she talks about it's no big deal... Don't get any presents... just another day... blah blah blah. I beg to differ!

I remember reading a devotion from Henri Nouwen regarding birthdays. He wrote that birthdays are a way of celebrating you, not just the day you were born, but the very fact you exist. In other words, birthdays are a big deal! Whether you are 1 or 16 or ___ or 47 or 61 or 83, you are worth celebrating. Celebrating a birthday is say we rejoice that God has placed you here and we have the joy of knowing you.

So, today I thank God that my wife exists. I am glad that God breathed life into her and brought us together. Just another day... I think not! On another note, today also happens to my near life-long best friend's birthday. I'll say his age: 40, just like me! Today I also thank God and celebrate his life.

Do you have a birthday coming soon? Perhaps a loved one does? Make sure you know and they know that it is not just another day. Rejoice and give God thanks.

Chris

No comments: