Monday, April 25, 2011

Great Easter Worship! And then...

I know join pastors and church members all over in celebrating the great Easter worship yesterday. At Christ UMC, there was some incredible music, special participation from some retired clergy, and from what I've heard a powerful message. I know that outstanding worship was the norm, as it is every year at Easter. Not only is the worship great, but the seats are full! At Christ UMC, our attendance was about 350 above our average. Certainly there are even more dramatic examples of this. It would be hard to not come away uplifted.

All this leads me to ask the question: what happens? Every year there is great worship and packed churches, but the very next Sunday the attendance usually plummets. Why? Was Easter worship just too much and now we need a break from church? I just don't get it.

It would be easy to ask the question, "Why bother?" I'll tell you why; worship is about God. Easter worship is about our resurrected Savior. That more than enough of a reason for special music and packed churches. God is worth more than all of the planning and effort. I believe that the power of the resurrection can and still does change lives.

Like I said, great Easter worship.

Chris

No comments: