Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Main Thing, Part 1

Ok, here is your chance to stop while you can. If you're in a good mood, you might want to read something else. Plus, this is going to be long. In this blog is some of my sadness, frustration, and anger when it comes to the church. But also hope. Yes, I do still have hope...

Like many others, I followed the UM General Conference over the last couple of weeks. It was like a terrible wreck: it was terrible to see, but you just can't look away. The endless debates and bickering, the lack of any substantial change, the divisiveness; it was all just frustrating. Here's the kicker: it shouldn't have been so bothersome. All of it was exactly what I EXPECTED to happen. I have seen and experienced the same stuff in the local church. Still, there was a small part of me...


I have had many conversations, read various blogs and articles. Many colleagues of mine, such as Jeremy Vickers, Matt Miofsky, and Andy Bryan, have written some great pieces.  I have also studied all of the statistics and they paint a very grim picture for the UMC. It's all very disheartening.Then, last night I read an article from a Boston theological professor reflecting on gen conf. the article was WAY off base. In a nutshell, it's his stance that all of the talk around restructuring, and pretty much all legislation, centered around the issue of homosexuality. The article bothered me, but it was what I read next that twisted me up inside. I read the comments that people had posted on the article. There were numerous attacks on The UMC and posts from persons who had left The UMC. There were misquotes and bickering between those making the posts. Right or wrong, perception becomes reality.

It hurts. It's sad and frustrating. I love The United Methodist Church. I believe in The UMC. I know I shouldn't, but I tend to take all of the negativity, the derogatory posts, the people leaving, etc; I tend to take it personally. I probably shouldn't, but I do. Not only am I a part of the UMC, I am a leader in the UMC. I help shoulder the responsibility of where we are at and where we are going.

So, where do we go? Good question. I'm not completely sure, but I know where I believe we should start. Stay tuned for part 2.

Chris

No comments: